Wednesday, 20 February 2019

I am exactly where I am supposed to be.

I found a nice little - very authentic - restaurant tonight - on this beautiful cobble stone street, that turns into a walking thoroughfare after 8pm...  Everyone is out!  Things are going on.  The world is pulsing…..

They had their "carne" roasting on a spit - I was SO not going to try that.  And then you know what?


I tried it.

I totally tried it.

I looked at the menu for at least 20 minutes - had NO idea what anything was…  (How can I still not be able to read a Mexican menu?)

Finally - I asked the waiter to bring me absolutely whatever he wanted to bring me...

I don't think people do that very often.

I don't think he wants to do that very often.

Turns out - "whatever he wanted" - was most certainly whatever was roasting away on that spit….

Of course it was.    (Pork???)


Nothing on the menu was over 65 Pesos ($5) - excellent.    
There were 4 tables in total - excellent. 

I've been trying to tell myself that eating-in makes way more sense - more economical and definitely healthier - most definitely less cheap vegetable oils….  See them there on the shelf? I had to pretend it wasn't happening, when they got poured over my fillings on the grill.

I have actually developed a new mantra for the $2 Canola oil:

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for such a nice oil - my body loves Canola oil - my body thrives on Canola oil - Thank you, Thank you for the Canola oil.  

But here's the thing - I am in Mexico.  This is my life.  Getting out, eating local food, talking Spanish with the waiter, chatting with the other customers - THOSE are the reasons that I am here.  Eating by myself, tucked into my safe apartment - I can do that for the bulk of my meals.  But I've also got to be doing precisely this:  Experiencing Mexico.

When I got to Taxco - everything was so far away… I was worried that I had rented the wrong apartment, because everywhere I went, it felt like I had to walk three miles...   Everything was in a different direction - I was in a vast vast space of immensity.

One day I even went out to look at a few different apartments, right across the street from CEPE.  Just, ya know, getting a feel for what it would be like to live right by the school.  I stopped myself from proceeding in that direction, by reminding myself, that I am working on "Commitment" - c.o.m.m.i.t.m.e.n.t.  That means I don't move out of my apartment after one week.  Ok.

I told myself, if after 30 days, everything was just too, too far away for me - I would then reconsider my options.  I could do 30 days.

So, each day, I picked one place to go to.  Just go to one place Robyn - you can do this.  You are going to be ok.  You are going to get used to this.  Open your door.  Start walking.

And truly - it did.  It started getting a little bit easier.  A little more familiar.

The first time I walked to UNAM it felt like it had taken me half an hour - and I was pretty much positive there was no way I was going to be able to navigate these steep streets, back and forth to UNAM - every single day…

Then - it got a little easier.

Walking to the Zócalo (main square) used to feel like I was walking into another world.  Now - it feels like I am walking to the corner store.

I walked to UNAM again today - just to get a feel for Monday morning.  It took me 11 minutes!  11 minutes.  I actually took a taxi there one day last week - when I didn't think I could muster up the walk.  Oh brother.

Today - I walked to the Zócalo, the lavandería, the supermarket, UNAM, the hair place (that wasn't open - even though I had an appointment - that was SO Mexico!  Yes, I am in Mexico:)…. and the evening restaurant.

And through all of those walking adventures - that each one used to be a "day-trip" in their own right….  - today?  It was nothing.

Things are becoming normal.  The spaces are becoming real.  The distances are becoming actual.

It's because I am no longer coming from a place of fear, anxiety, nerves, or inadequacy.

I am becoming a part of my surroundings.

The spaces are closing in around me - and nothing is "too much" anymore.

My world is shrinking to something manageable.

I am going to be OK here.

It's all in the way I view it.  What used to feel like "everything is in a different direction!  I can't just walk around and get anything done - it's all over the place...."

Now, I realize - here's the thing:  I am precisely in the centre of everything.  

I am exactly where I am supposed to be.  

No comments:

Post a Comment