Monday, 15 October 2018

A new way of studying Spanish



So – here is the real beauty of studying Spanish in a city that doesn't speak English:

Every moment is school. Every situation is my study. Every email to my landlord is an assignment. Every conversation is a chapter from my textbook.


Every time I turn on the radio, I am making a choice to learn something new. Every time I turn on the TV, I am no longer just watching a show – I am immersing myself.


And get this: my window is my YouTube channel.


I no longer have to study solely from textbooks, audios, videos – I literally just have to walk out my front door. Now – don't get me wrong – it's not like that doesn't take a whole bunch of energy as well. In fact, it is way harder, more stressful, and certainly, way more scary than hiding away in my little basement suite in Edmonton, AB – pretending I am actually in Latin America. When. I. Am. Not.

I actually do need to walk out my front door. 


I have a dear friend in Baja California, I will nickname her SG here to maintain her privacy. SG has been a mentor, a friend, a sister, a mother, a confidante – but more than anything, SG has been an inspiration. SG has been taking near-daily Spanish classes ever since I met her – at least 6 or 7 years now. Unfailingly, she has stuck to her commitment to learn and practice Spanish so that she can communicate with the Mexican families and people living around her in Todos Santos.


While I get too nervous to barely squeak out: Tenga buen dia! - at the corner market – SG is having full-on conversations with the auto mechanic in Spanish.


Meeting SG changed my life – because she showed me that I could do anything. Anything.


While I have been floundering my way through the muck of my life over the past years – SG has been:

1. buying herself a gorgeous traditional casita in Todos Santos.
2. becoming daily more fluent in Spanish.
3. entering into 6am tennis tournaments (SG is over 70 years old).
4. travelling Europe and all parts of the world.
5. meeting super fun handsome men to spend her time with.
6. taking her grandchildren and children on epic adventures.
7. going out for incredible dinners with friends and family.
8. cooking wonderful meals for whichever of her bountiful friends cares to join her


I could go on. You get the picture.


SG is living her life.


The point I am trying to make, is that no matter how scared I am – no matter how close to the abyss I find myself – I am finally, finally living the life I came here to live. And meeting SG was a part of that process.


Actually, every person that is truly living their life – has been a part of this process.


But here's the thing: there aren't that many of these people. How many of us are truly daring to dream their dream? And then – daring to bring to life that dream. And then – more than anything – daring to truly live out that dream.


No matter how yucky, messy, insane, incomprehensible, misunderstood – this process of my life has been - I can say this:

I have been trying to live out my dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment