Sunday, 14 October 2018

El Mercado Campesino - The Farmers' Market

Sunday is Farmers' Market day in Taxco - wonderful!  This is a dream come true.  I had no idea when I came here if this would be a hot-bed for farmers, or not...  It is!  It is.  They are everywhere.  

It is. A.  Hot-bed.  

10 am – I was supposed to get picked up by Eduardo this morning – the infamous "tour-guide" who actually drives the cab with the rope-system that opens and closes the doors.... He was taking me to the local farmers' market. I was really, really excited about this..... 10:05.  10:10.  10:15.  No show?

I mean, I get it.  This is Mexico – he may still be en-route...

But here is the thing - this hasn't been my experience so far.  Every time I have gotten a ride somewhere, including Mexico City - everyone has been perfectly punctual.  So I am pretty sure something has gone amiss with Eduardo this morning.  I hope has another client, with maybe some kind of tour that is going to pay him about 20 times more cash than my measly 35 peso farmers' market trip.  Ojalá. 

So, I started walking.  I almost went back into my apartment, but I didn't.  Score 1 for Confident Robyn. 

I had no idea in which direction the market even was... I picked a la derecha.  To the right. After about 15 minutes, I decided to ask another taxi though to actually take me there – just so I would know exactly where it was next time. Turns out, I could have walked. But for $2 – I now know where I am going...


The farmers' market: Amazing!!! Amazing. Amazing.

BUT – it had rained all night, and the super sketchy sidewalk leading into the market was straight down-hill. I almost didn't even attempt it – but the confidence (audacity?) of even the senior senior citizens casually walking in - pushed me to gather up my courage.


Kind of a mistake. I slipped. I caught myself, but not without a sort of half scream of terror – which caused a collective "AYYYYY" from all of the vendors nearest to the entrance... Needless to say, I didn't pause there to take any of the pictures that I was hoping for.  I got the general feeling that I wasn't the first tourist to take a potential spill in that exact spot.  I think they were more surprised (let-down?) that I caught myself than that I was about to take the spill.

Next week.  Pictures.  Promise.  Without a dramatic entry. 


Did you know how small some avocados are? I had no idea. Amazing.


This market was really quite, quite lovely, and massive! Not a "wide" sort of massive, but a "long" sort of massive. The little street it is on is only about 4 feet wide in the middle, with little vendor stalls on either side. The vendors literally have to sit with their bodies angled to the street to let the shoppers walk by.

It went on forever!  It got so narrow at one point, that I lost my nerve, turned around, and started on my way back.  A little ghost of Nervous Robyn.   Walking back I walked through the "Zócolo" - the main square of the city.  Pretty much all Latin American cities have them.  Maybe in Spain too?  This is where the massive cathedral is - but I didn't stop for pictures today, because the Zócolo was a massive maze of locals and tourists attending the cathedral.  Was there a service?  I don't know.  Maybe just Catholics paying their respects.  I will find out. Rushed Robyn was ready to get back to the safety of her apartment.  There must have been 5000 people in the tiny square.   


I am not sure how often I will come back to this Sunday market – I guess I will know more tomorrow. Because apparently, every Monday there is a farmer's market literally 100 steps from my front door. How did I manage to rent an apartment in a city of 100,000 people, only to find a weekly market at my front door? Honestly, if God is not here with me, literally holding my hand – then five thousand of his angels most certainly are.


I walked home from the market very, very happy... But – then remembered that I was running very low on cash, and I hadn't found a bank anywhere near to my apartment.  Here I would find one!  Perfect.  I was once again the right place. 

So I asked around for the local bank. I confidently walked in – trying not to remember my PTSD from Mexico City – and calmly went to take out my cash.


No cash.

It's ok Robyn – you know this – you got this. This happens all the time in Mexico – MC was just different – because you were tired, and alone, and knew no one. You have made some friends here now, and you have your apartment. You are ok.


So I asked around for another bank – and I confidently made my way into the next bank, about a 10-minute walk further away.


"Transacción Rechazada" – I doubt I have to translate that for you. Transaction declined? We all know I have money in my account – because Jennifer put it there for me!!!


I stayed calm. This is just a test. This is just another test of my character, my perseverance, my ability to stay centered in the present moment, and most importantly – a test of my character to stay grounded and confident in my decision to come alone to central Mexico, to study Spanish in a city in the middle of nowhere, with only myself to lean upon.


So, I walked home. Confidently. Back straight, smiling. And I didn't break down at home either. I am down to 80 Pesos in my wallet, and tomorrow I will wake up, meditate, and head out the door to find the perfect bank that will not only allow me to take money out of my account - but it will be their pleasure that I use their ATM to take money out of my account. 


Everything is OK.


This is what I bought today at the farmers market:


Nueces (Walnuts in Shell)  Fresh from their tree!


 Avocados - seriously, no more than the size of a small egg.  Wild trees maybe?


Espinaca - Spinach:  Beautiful dark green, and super tasty.


I really should have taken a picture of the beautiful egg scramble I made for breakfast with all of these ingredients.  Next time.

Sundays was going to be my "treat day" after the farmers' market - where I sit on a little patio and spend 55 Pesos ($4!) on Huevos Rancheros, and look at the views from one of the spectacular patios here.  Sadly, with 80 Pesos in my purse, this will have to wait a week.  




No comments:

Post a Comment