Tuesday, 1 October 2013

Self-Love......

It's october 1st!
Winter by my standards has pretty much set in as of today....  Considering i wore a hat, socks and mittens on my walk to yoga this morning, I'd say I'm not too far off.....
I have a story to tell you today, about self-love..... It's about the ego too, and maybe even a little bit about the mind as well.
I almost didn't go to yoga today.
I was tired, sore, my back hurt, i felt queazy, i had a headache and i was tucked into my warm bed with my pajamas still on, at 9 am.....
I also ate a bit too large of a breakfast, considering i had a 2-hour Mysore-style practice ahead of me by 10:15 am....
So i fell asleep, why wouldn't i?  I was honouring my body, my emotions, my mind, and i wasn't pushing myself too far or too hard.  Hooray for Robyn!  Right?
Well, the truth is, I've committed to this Mysore practice twice a week for the next 2 months, and we are one month into it already.  The container that is created each tuesday and thursday morning, i now realize, is something my ego wants to hide from....  It doesn't want me to be fully liberated, fully awake, and fully conscious...
It's not that i don't respect my ego, i do.  It's that sometimes it doesn't quite speak the truth.....
This morning it was fibbing, big time.
And i almost believed it.
At 10:04 i awoke with a start, and immediately knew where i needed to be... But my mind kept on playing it's tricks!  I decided 11 minutes was not enough time to get to yoga, and walking in late was not an option.....  My crazy mind!
Thank God i saw the truth about 5 seconds later, jumped out of bed, ran out the door, and walked into the practice room in perfect time....
And what a practice! It was day 1 of the new monthly sequence, and it is a tough one this time around...  Once i was in it though, truly present, i knew there was no other place i needed to be, and certainly not back in my bed...
So how do we know the truth in each moment?  Because there are times when we need to be gentle with ourselves, wrap ourselves up in blankets, and leave the world for a period of time....
How do we know which moment is which?
I guess what I've learned for me regarding yoga in winter is this:
Just go Robyn. Go.  If once you get there, you need to go home, then go home.   There is very seldom where a 10 minute walk in the fresh air is going to have adverse consequences, and I'd hazard to say, that nearly all the time, it would be beneficial for me at least in some way in that moment...
To really top things off, my dearest friend, upon hearing my story, has told me that she will be picking me up each tuesday morning from now on!  I mean, it's the truth.....  Maybe i should get my own butt out of my cozy covers and into the winter...all on my own personal strength.  Or maybe, a friend sees that i could use some help, and i for once do not resist......

No comments:

Post a Comment