i don't want to close
but i do
i have
i will
and i will again
because I'm terrified
i won't be enough
i'll be too much
or worse
somewhere in the middle
which will reek
of ambiguity
passivity
boredom
too many times
before you
he turned his back
and he walked away
and I've got this conditioning
that i can't possibly be
simply enough
as i am
for you
without fixing
healing
changing
rearranging
mending
bending
and so i close
but i don't want to
and that's how I'll know it's you
won't i
you're going to stay
aren't you
uncovering me
layer by layer
peeling
not probing
pressing closer
always pressing
just a little closer
not pulling
never pulling away
because for you
this is not an arduous task
this is not a frustration
or an inconvenience
but a miracle
a gift
a journey
you came here to complete
uncovering
unearthing
me
waiting your whole life
for you've known
you've seen
the scars i bare
the cloaks i wear
the shadows i stare
and the darkness i dare
and still
you stumble through the night
to me
steadfast
straight ahead
softly
never hurried
you've known the time i need
your pace is swift
and sure
your movements
well practiced
a lifetime of steps
to me
knowing
understanding
i don't want to close
but i will
I love this one, Robyn!
ReplyDelete